Sunday, July 15, 2007

Is That a Toilet?







To continue my Everyday Life in Italy series, I wanted to share with you a very interesting, and sometimes, strange part of life here in Italy.

Presenting....

The Italian Bathroom



Ah yes, the Italian bathroom experience, sometimes funny, sometimes strange, but always interesting. There are many different versions of toilets in Italy. The pictures I am showing you highlight just a few. To the right you will see the bathroom in our place. The one on the left is the toilet, with the button to flush way up on the wall above the toilet(not pictured). The thing on the right is not a toilet, it is called a bidet(also pictured is Nolan's potty, which by the way he doesn't want anything to do with it). For those of you not familiar with a bidet, it is a device to clean yourself after using the toilet(use your imagination). You will find these all over Italy in almost every bathroom you experience. For more in-depth explanation that I am not going to go into about the bidet and Italian bathroom, these sites will explain all you want or need to know.


Below is another version of the Italian toilet, which pretty much what you see is what you get. It is a hole in the floor. I personally hate these and avoid them whenever I can, but sometimes, I just don't have a choice. By the way, yes ladies, in case you were wondering, you just have to squat(I hope you have strong leg muscles). There are two places to place your feet(if you look really close) to help you with traction. So there you go, make sure you click on the above links to see what else you can experience in Italian bathrooms, because I couldn't possibly show you everything.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Courtney: To funny, this kind of squat bathroom is in Russia also.
It kind of makes you feel like you should be in the woods somewhere!!
Corey

Anonymous said...

Can you Dump in the hole in the floor?

Custom Search