Almost 6 weeks ago we picked up a little package from the Lafayette Post Office. In it was 27 little babies. Little baby chicks to be exact. I failed to post anything at the time but our babies have been living in our basement/garage for the past 6 weeks. We have been raising them and have must have done a fine job because we haven't lost one. We have made all the preparations and today was the big day we finally got to move them outside. It was a fun day and the kids were super excited.
We have already gotten attached to the chicks. We are not keeping them all though. We will keep about 15. They have to get a bit bigger so we can tell for sure who is a hen and who is a rooster. We plan on keeping 1 rooster but not anymore. We think at this point we might has at least 4(that happens sometimes) you just never know until they mature what you actually end up with.
We are very excited about our latest "adventure". We (I at least) been interested in chickens for going on 5 years ever since we moved to Italy. So 5 years later our little dream has become a reality. We cannot wait to post more on our chicken adventures and show you more about each one of them and their activities.
I will post more about them later, trust me and why exactly we decided to get chickens! I know you are wondering.... For now, here are a few pictures. Will be adding a chicken run sometime within the next week or so so they will be able to be outside during the day. Until then we have to keep them in their house only for the next 3-4 days so they know where their "home" is at the end of the day. We won't be seeing any eggs until about the time the weather decides to cool off in the late fall.
 |
| May 15th 2011, the day we received the chickie babies. Right in time for Meredith's BD |
 |
| 5-15-11 Meredith with one of the polish chickens(they have crazy hair, just wait you will see-stay posted) |
 |
| Jump forward 6 weeks to today..Here is Matt, Nolan and Meredith standing outside our coop(the kids have VBS this week so they have matching shirts today) |
 |
| Nolan inside the coop-this is the cleanest this coop will ever be-EVER |
 |
| A few pictures of the girls getting used to their new home and feeding areas |
 |
| This is a Barred Rock Chicken-as you can see they have grown alot in the last 6 weeks. They are not looking like baby chicks anymore. In the back left you can see the polish chicken that Meredith was holding in of the first picture. You can see it is getting the rock star wild hair. She is one of our 2 smallest chickens. We think she was a runt. |
 |
| Meredith peaking in the door before we added any chicks |
More chicken pics to come, stay tuned..
3 comments:
Thats a fancy chicken coop! I can't believe how big they are now. I bet the kids are facinated by them:)
Awesome! How cool for your kiddos!
Hi Courtney, I am a friend of Kathy Tonagel's and the clan... have met you a couple of times... I am writing to share some chicken lore. I am on my 5th or 6th batch of chickens over the last 20+ years. The latest arrived (USPS, also) May 1, so I am a week or so ahead of yours. One thing... when you make the run, make sure you have chicken wire on the bottom and top as well as the sides. Critters come in from all sides and can dig and hop and climb! Also, make sure the doors are as shut tightly as possible... weasels can get in 1/2 inch gap.... you are right - you will only need one rooster! I'll be watching your posts with interest. You will have a blast!
Post a Comment