Monday, March 28, 2011

Planting Time!!

We are very excited to say we tilled the garden Saturday and did our first 2 plantings of the year, spinach and sugar snap peas. We should have done a few more but we are hoping to possibly get onions in the ground maybe next weekend. It was quite cold today but we did spend most of the day outside. Matt was loving every minute of it. He has been waiting to do this since last October when the the weather turned cold again...

It doesn't look like it but this is my hubby, happy as a clam(he is trying to act cool but inside he is pumped up)! He is loving every minute of this...love you honey!

Matt on the right, Nolan and Meredith on the left in their gator( their christmas present this year) . That John Deer Gator was a great investment.They L-O-V-E it. A side note...We  got this gator the day after Thanksgiving during black Friday. Matt woke up super early to get to Michigan City Big R before they opened(I cannot remember exactly but it was somewhere in the range of 3-4 am.) He was the first in the parking lot. It was on sale so we thought they were going to be sold out but when he got in there their were mass quantities and barely anyone there. LOL This was our first black Friday experience. At least we got it on sale. :-)We cannot wait until this summer. It is going to come it super handy around the yard. Our neighbors behind us have given us permission to use their land so between our land and theirs they can cover 6 plus acres on this thing.

Front view

Matt and Meredith covering the sugar snap peas.
In case you were wondering what the white stuff is, the company we bought the seeds from recommended we add wood ash to the soil when we plant to help improve their success. We will give it a shot! We still need to put up our supports for the peas, hopefully we will do that next week too. More pics to come on that...

We feel much more organized this year for the garden. We are hoping for a very fun and successful gardening season. 

  

5 comments:

Stacy said...

I love fresh garden peas! It takes alot of plants to get a good amount of peas though.
Good luck with the garden!
We have about 30 tomatoe plants growing inside right now. :)

L,P+B Penziol said...

wow you guys are going to have a huge garden this year! I'm sure you'll enjoy all the veggies this summer and fall :)

Sydney said...

Before I forget... http://www.lafayette.in.gov/department/division.php?fDD=34-150

The Richards Family said...

Stacy,

I believe we have planted what will be about 40 feet of peas vines. Will that get us enough to get some peas into the house or are they all going to get eaten before the make it inside(this was our problem last year and with everyone else we have talked to who has planted peas LOL)? We thought we would try this much this year and go from there.Tell me your thoughts...

Also, we ordered all our seeds from an online organic supplier this year all except for Tomatoes and peppers. We tried doing these from seed inside last year and after dad nagged me about it all spring that I should just buy starters of these int the nursery that is what I ended up doing in the end. My seeds just didn't do as well as I hoped starting them indoors. Any suggestions on where to buy organic starters for tomatoes and peppers? Bennetts? Thanks...CR

Lisa said...

Courtney-Your garden looks lovely-you have an awesome amount of space. If you need any help with it let us know. I am starting some raised beds this year for the first time, but we have very little space. The kids would love to come out and help if you need it and I would love to learn from someone who knows better than me lol!

We are ordering our seeds from naturescrossroads.com

They are in Bloomington and all of their seeds and starters are organic as well, many from local farms. You can custom order seedlings though there I think. I have been very happy with them. Like I said I am totally new to all of this and have been bugging them with questions and they have been so great and patient with me lol!

Custom Search