My friend Jill told me to get this and watch it a year ago, I wish I would have done it when she told me back then. I accidentally fell upon it in the library last night and I am so glad did. Most of it isn't surprising to me, but it just reaffirmed why we are making the choices we are for our family. If you care about what you eat, the story behind your food or are unsure about the choices you make in the grocery store and how they could be affecting you and your family, you MUST watch this. Check out the trailer.
Check out or call your local library first(it will be free) but any way you can get your hands on this you should watch it. Let me know what you think afterward!
PS We are hoping to get our first seeds planted in the garden this weekend! It makes me even more happy after watching this... Yeah!!!
6 comments:
it is so funny that you posted this because a patient's family member that i was taking care of just told me that i NEED to watch this asap! we talked for a long time and i found a lot of the stuff she told me interesting. maybe i will have to check this out myself! thanks for the post!
malorie t
Wow Courtney!
When I saw the post I thought I had given you the link. I found Food inc. about a month ago and have been making copies for friends, posted on FB and basically radically changed my whole approach to food and grocery shopping since (haven't been to thesupermaket in a month!)
I have a few of Michael Pollan's books on my Amazon shopping cart ready to be bought. Here is a video series that you may enjoy. It's become our favorite recently. Check it out!
http://www.theperennialplate.com
Gaby
I saw this subject on Oprah through Michael Pollan. The way the animals are treated in some parts of the US/World is not the way they are treated locally. It made me very mad to think that is what people will believe after seeing the documentary. As a daughter of the local (Lafayette) meat plant owner, I know for a fact that not all beef cattle are treated the way the movie focuses on. Just be careful, be educated, and be choosy about what you see and read in relation to where you live and shop.
Thanks for all the interest in this post and all your comments.
First question I have is for Gaby. You being in Italy, I would think the situation there would be rather different than here in the US, but maybe I am wrong. Have you been just doing all your shopping at the markets every week? Just curious...Have you heard or seen something there is makes you think that it may be similar situation?
For the person who left the anonymous comment,
Thanks again for the comment. You are exactly right. And yes, we are very happy to have recently bought some local meat and had it butchered locally here in Lafayette and we were very happy with the whole experience in general and especially with the meat. Exactly what they discussed at the end of the video, we are trying as best we can to move towards shopping, buying and supporting this area, small family farms and keeping with the natural/organics in our food selections. We did not like this huge mass industrial food operations and would prefer to avoid this, and the good thing is we do have a choice in the matter. That being said we currently have 1/4 of a beef and a whole hog that we recently had butchered sitting in our freezer downstairs who we bought both from friends who raised them every bit from start to finish. I know that not all animals are treated in the manner that is shown on the video, our course not. It does happen in some places and area of this country. This is why, like you said that we all should be choosy about what we buy and educate ourselves as much as possible.
CR
Hi Courtney,
To answer your question I believe the situation at the industrial level over here is pretty much the same. With this I mean the way food is produced at the mass consuption level eventhough as you know fast food chains have not had much success in spreading all over like in the US or even in Germany.
I've recently saw this DVD http://www.amazon.com/Our-Daily-Bread-n/dp/B001N3R8WG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1301413439&sr=8-4 which was filmed exclusively in Europe and is pretty scary.
Yes, I do buy all our fresh fruits, veggies, fish, bread, even cleaning supplies, etc at the open market in Chieri Tuesdays & Fridays. It takes a bit of organizing but it’s MUCH less time and $$$ consuming than the supermarket trips and you are sure to get “real” food form the farmers market that tastes superb. I also found a meat farm in our town (go figure!) that sells superb beef, pork and some chicken at their little store not 3 miles from our house.
Gaby
Courtney-we watched the documentary also a couple of months ago-it can be streamed for free on netflix if you have a subscription. I agree wholeheartedly with you and we are making a lot of changes in the way we eat and shop. The thought of fast food just totally disgusts me. We are looking into buying from a local farm in Mulberry who are also homeschoolers. I am so excited about this because we are able to go there and actually help out and tour the facilitiy and have a relationship with the farmer. SO neat for the kids to understand how things work and to be able to help out with that. If we had our own land, we would want to do it ourselves! Maybe someday!
Post a Comment